Friday, September 26, 2008

Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur-California

This painting was inspired by a road trip I did in April 2006 from San Diego to San Fran and back. On the way up we stopped at Pfeiffer State Beach to take in the surreal, awe inspiring views of the mighty Pacific Ocean slamming into weathered nooks and crannys of this beach. This day was a rare one indeed with "blue bird" skys, warm air temperatures, and a solid swell running as well. I almost put on my 4/3 fullsuit and booties to snag a few waves off this cranking left as seen in the painting, but the "Jaws" theme song was reverberating a bit too strong in my head. I'm used to So. Cal crowds devoid of shark fin soup conditions, no thanks! I ended up scaling the big rock that the wave is breaking off of and found all kinds of crazy fossils preserved in sandstone columns. There was also a cool keyhole conduit that ran through the rock with waves crashing through at high tide. I highly recommend this beach if you find yourself cruising down the PCH in Big Sur!









No comments: